Sunday 2 September 2012

Libra


The heart that beats in leaf of oak,
Deciphered and danced to
By those who can do,
Offers echo of original relationship.

Communal choirs still sing of love
In every cell and sobbing heart.
Can you sit enough
In the seat of your own unknowing,
To savour the sound
Of every pain and piece of flapping fantasy,
That falls through ages untouched by wind
Or blood-wet bursts of
Sun-splattered rain?

How can this be?
That rivers run and write their script
In land and lives alike? 
I feel their flow in my fields of flesh
And beg to ask what earth is moved
In suspension of murky memory?
The channel is clean
And yes I lean towards clear reflection.

So speed on well, my swollen friend.
Your flood is mine,
For my banks are breached with your generous spill.
What else can I do, but see you; 
You and your silt-lipped beauty?

The stones you swallow
Have kissed my hand; my salt becomes seasoning
To your billowing broth, froth-flaked
And ripple-filled with desire to greet the sea.
Yes, great oceans await.
I hold my breath and gulp
The dream awake.
Somewhere your fresh meets brine,
Stories swirl on heaving tides
For intercourse of Sun and Moon
Does shake this Earth and its bulging veins
Alive.

Even over the wave-break surge of separation
Your wash does froth
In white-foamed spumes of union.
This is the touch of genius,
To blend the brackish bilge,
Light and dark with star-depth symmetry
And send it splashing soft upon
Shores of oft-washed awareness.

And when the ocean calls from a far,
Wind-whipped and wet with wonder,
Who hears that voice
So steeped in unfathomable glory?

Listen and listen again.
For no pain can still such shattering
Scream-bent silence.
And when the tongue of love,
Spiral traced through ash and
Blood-brushed flecks of dust,
Comes licking the mist from thought
And seed-full thinking,
I sigh and wait for time to die
A death from natural causes.

Below those minutes and seconds
And hours,
The wish driven days who crawl then fall
In a tattered haze of sleep-smoke,
A massed rank of marriages
Uphold the law of eternal exchange.

Man becomes wife, wife becomes man, 
A shadow is shared, sliced and served
With all-consuming relish.
And in the tasting of such fat-rich fare, 
Thick with lumps of neglected nourishment,
Commitment coats the eager tongue
In layers seldom savoured.


Yes commitment! Yes a contract!
For those who breathe unseen by eyes unopened,
Do so very love the drip-feed drops
Of  committed conscious action.

And this saline solution,
Sweet salted with crystal beads 
Of enduring concentration,
Slakes the thirst of such spirits
As come to drink of our own
Forgiveness.

Drunk they become at our own reception.
Dance they do to the sound
Of unceasing intention.
Rise we can to take our vows
Oh brides and grooms
Make haste without hurry.

This is holy matrimony.
The scales are set and 
Upon that heart of scared hearts
They sit in sexless balance.
The Father, the Mother, the Sister 
The Brother
The Loved and the Lover
In midpoint merge;
A pivotal moment for all concerned.

Divorce [to use its maiden name]
Or separation [see the modern game]
Is but a choice of awareness annulled. 
For ever are the two entwined, 
Their fabrics stitched by a third
Behind the seams.
And the hand that sews still knows
That one was once three,
Yes physically, full of footsteps and
Three-fold thinking.


Now, in this autumn dance of Earth years,
Leaf strewn and red with
Dead-blessed bursts of decay,
Those who reach the chasm and leap,
Feel the Fall in mind smashed marrow, 
The trunk of the Tree,
Roots and crown and all.

So it is in the heart of no-mind’s land.
No thinking to hinder the rising and sinking
Of Sun’s ablaze in the final
Fires of love.
A love so perfect in imperfection; 
Alive in the dead-deeps hot with
Death’s affection.
Dreaming the dream awake,
It slumbers not as I give
My eyes to god.

“Awaken all you I have 
Rough shook and shaken;
My announcement is this:
You are never forsaken.
When blinded you groped and 
Gut-grabbed your way through
Mire and mud covered ribbons 
Of roadway, I held you in my
Earth.

Mine was the hand that stroked your land,
Pressing it, pinching it, pulling 
 Skin-deep patches together. 
And all this, all this, simply
Because I love you. Yes it’s true
That through the ink-pool pupils,
You teach me of myself.
You reach me and into me.
Far inside I see through you,
Glimpsing unmentionable moments
Without end, tip-toeing and trampling
Into cell-soldered arc-lights 
Of welded bliss I know as my heart.
Yours are the tears I string as dew
On cobwebs brushed dripping
With starlight and shadows of Suns
To come.
Yours is the blood I squeeze from my heart,
Fat raindrops bleeding back to me.
For through you I strive to
Break the bounds of my heavenly
Hijacked creation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment